Week One (ish)

I was going to do week-by-week updates on the running side of things, and even though I only managed one run before I was advised to stop, I’m going to tell you about it anyway.

In short, it was great. The sun was shining but it wasn’t too hot, I was in a good mood and I had Local Natives in my ears.

The first run of the C25K programme involves a warmup of a five-minute brisk walk, followed by 60 seconds of jogging, then 90 seconds of walking, 60 seconds of jogging, and so on and so on, for a total of 20 minutes.

Weirdly, once you’ve finished the final 90-second walk, there’s another five-minute cool-down walk. I was ready to break into a run again, which I’m taking as a good sign.

I covered 2.2 miles. Let’s be honest, most of it was walking.

First C25K run

I focused on running slowly, and then found that it was easier if I didn’t focus on the running at all. The only time I struggled a teeny bit was when a poor choice of route on my part had me half way up an uneven set of granite stairs just as I was supposed to launch into my jog again. That was in that little mini-park in the bottom left-ish of the map, if you’re interested.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I felt good, and when I was doing my stretches in the park like a yuppie, I felt elated, energised and proud of myself.

The next day, I still felt elated, energised and proud of myself, but pretty much every muscle in my body was giving me a friendly reminder that they hadn’t done that in a while.

My legs were actually fine – the stretching had done its job – but I’d forgotten about the achy stomach, back and bum muscles. It wasn’t excruciating or anything, in fact, it was kind of familiar – that satisfying feeling that lets you know you definitely exercised. I used to feel like that after a six-mile pb. Now a two-mile mostly-walk will do it.

That feeling also reminded me how important the yoga part of the plan is. Core strength might have come in handy here.

After a couple of days, I was all good again, and would have been ready for workout number two, but, of course, by then Dr Shrivastava had got in touch and I’d put a halt on the whole thing.

Since then, I have successfully got myself a Medicare card – which gives me access to free healthcare in Australia on a reciprocal agreement with the UK – and I’ve visited a GP and got myself a referral to a neurologist of my choosing – Dr Katrina Reardon.

It may be a little wait before I can do a week-two running update. Watch this space. I will, of course, keep you posted.

3 thoughts on “Week One (ish)”

  1. Steph, take your time and don’t rush into anything just get your health back to normal. As you know I’ve had lots of medical issues going on, its all about taking stock and realise what your body can do and be positive which I know you are.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.